This second edtion will feature an extensive showcase of new Romanian films, along with a workshop with director Florin Serban, a lecture and two panels and discussions on new Romanian cinema. The festival is organized by CREEES (Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies), Stanford University, the Special Language Program at Stanford University (SLP) and the Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley (ISEEES) in conjunction with Romanian Cultural Institute, Bucharest, Romania, the Film & Media Studies, Department of Art and Art History, Stanford University, and the Romanian Student Association, Stanford University.
Friday, April 1, 2011
Cubberley Auditorium (Education Building) 485 LASUEN MALL, Stanford Univ. (map).
This event is organized by The Center of Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies, Stanford Univ. (CREEES).
Saturday, April 2, 2011
Braun Hall, 450 Serra Mall, Bldg 320, also known as the Geology Corner, on the Main Quad, Stanford Univ. (map)
- 10:00–10:18 am Surrounded by Friends / Intre Prieteni
Directed by Ozana Nicolau, 2010, 18 min.
- 10:25–10:50am Strung Love / Strung Love
Written and Directed by Victor Dragomir, 2010, 22 min.
- 11:00–12:00pm Florin Serban: Workshop
Room 109, Braun Hall, limited seating, RSVP Florentina Mocanu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11:00am–11:15am Home / Acasa
Directed by Paul Negoescu, 2007, 14 min
- 11:15am–12:15pm Apocalypse on Wheels / Apocalipsa dupa Soferi
Directed by Alexandru Solomon, 2008, 52 min
- LUNCH BREAK
- 1:00–2:15pm The Zurich Chronicle / Cronica de la Zurich
Directed by Radu Igazsag&Alexandru Solomon, 1996, 28 min
Romanian Avant Garde, lecture by SLE Fellow Cosana Eram.
- 2:30–3:00pm Alexandra / Alexandra
Directed by Radu Jude, 2008, 25 min.
- 3:00–4:30pm The Other Irene / Cealalta Irina
Directed by Andrei Gruzsniczki, 2006, 90 min.
- 5:00–6:00pm Panel Discussion:Romanian Cinema - Capitalism and Adaptation Proposed forum speakers: Prof. Steve Kovacs, Prof. Jean Marie Apostolides, Prof. Carl Weber, PrTelluride Film Festival Co-founder/Co-Director and Producer, Tom Luddy, Director Florin Serban, Director Ioana Uricaru, SLE Fellow Cosana Eram, Kiersten Jakobsen, PhD Candidate, Art History/Film Studies Stanford Univ.
Moderator/Panel Coordinator: Florentina Mocanu, PhD Candidate, Drama Department, Stanford Univ.
- 6:25–7:05pm Tertium Non Datur / Tertium Non Datur
Directed by Lucian Pintilie, 2006, 40min.
- 7:10–7:48pm Stuck on Christmas / Captivi de Craciun
Directed by Iulia Rugina, 2010, 38min.
- 7:50–8:15pm Stopover/Stopover
Directed by Ioana Uricaru, 2011, 15min.
Q&A with Ioana Uricaru
- 8:15–9:30pm Festival's Reception
Monday, April 4, 2011
Room 15, Drama Department, ROBLE GYM (04-650), 375 SANTA TERESA ST, Stanford Univ. (map)
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
The Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies at the Univ. of California, Berkeley (ISEEES), room TBA, map TBA
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit the festival's website for the most updated information.
[Image: Still from When I Want to Whistle, I Whistle, by Florin Serban]